Landlord Fined

Landlord Fined for Fitting Unsafe Stove

A landlord who installed an unsafe log burner into a South Gloucestershire home has appeared in court.

The landlord put the burner into a home that caused the tenants to become “concerned for their safety”. On inspection it was revealed that it breached six building regulations – including there being no carbon monoxide detector, insufficient air supply and an unsafe flue connection.

South Gloucestershire Council said due to the severity of the situation it had “no alternative but to prosecute the 55-year-old He pleaded guilty to breaching building regulations at North Avon Magistrates’ Court.

He was fined £600 and ordered to pay £500 in costs following the complaint from tenants in January this year. It was stated that “Many people are installing wood burners and may not realise that they need building regulations approval.

“It’s important to contact your local authority to check if your installation requires building regulation permission.

“This investigation involved the collaboration of South Gloucestershire Council’s housing and building control teams and demonstrates our commitment to protect the safety of residents in their homes.”

Unfortunately we are often made aware of installations that are non-compliant on a far too regular basis. It is not just landlords that are endangering lives. It is home owners and tenants that think it’s acceptable to install a wood burner without realising the potential danger to the property and more importantly the risk to human life. If you think that your stove may be non-compliant, please contact us for an inspection.

Leave a Reply